Holiday Happenings around Central Kentucky
Posted by Ashley Whitworth on Monday, December 3, 2012 at 6:29:28 PM By Ashley Whitworth / December 3, 2012 Comment
The holidays can be a busy time for many families. Let us help you ease your scheduling conundrums with a list of holiday events happening around Central Kentucky! Lexington:
- Wave to Santa and other celebrants at the Lexington Christmas Parade, Thursday, December 6, beginning at 7:30 p.m. The parade begins at Main and Midland, and proceeds along Main Street to Mill Broadway in downtown Lexington.
- The Lexington Ballet Company presents their annual performance of The Nutcracker at the Lexington Opera House. The performances will be held December 7th at 7:30pm, December 8 at 2:00pm and 7:30pm, December 9th at 2:00pm, December 14th at 7:30pm, December 15th at 2:00pm & 7:30pm, and December 16th at 2:00pm. Tickets can be purchased at through Ticketmaster.
- The Southern Lights are on display at the Kentucky Horse Park from now until December 31st. This year’s display will include several basketball-themed light displays celebrating the 2012 NCAA Champion UK Wildcats in addition to the traditional “Christmas Village,” “12 Day of Christmas,” “Keeneland Race Track” and other displays. There will also be indoor attractions like holiday craft merchants, seasonal entertainment and children’s activities, an exotic petting zoo, pony and camel rides, the Mini Train Express, and photos with Santa. Southern Lights is open from 5:30 pm to 10 pm nightly. Indoor attractions will be open every night except November 22 and December 24 – 31. The cost is $15.00 per car Sunday through Thursday and $20.00 per car on Friday and Saturday. In addition, the cost for an extended van or limousine is $30.00, a mini-bus is $50.00, a school bus is $75.00 and a motor coach is $125.00.
- Berea’s 12 days of Christmas is going on now through December 12th. Learn from the professionals as workshops for blacksmithing, jewelry making, knitting, painting, pottery, and others will be available to the local public for a small fee. Learn more about the workshops that will be available at http://www.berea.com/events/12-days-of-christmas/.
- The Gallery & Gifts Holiday Market is going on at the Scott County Arts and Cultural Center through December 20th from 12:00pm-4:00pm. This event features local and regional artists, artisans and authors presenting "Affordable Art" for visitors searching for special gifts just in time for the holidays.
- Don’t forget your four-legged family members this holiday season! On December 8th and 9th, take your furry friends to the Scott County Human Society to get a photo taken of you and your pet with Santa Claus. All proceeds benefit Scott County Humane Society. The photos will be taken December 8th from 10am- 5pm and December 9th from 12pm-5pm.
- Experience the magic of Christmas during the Holiday Homes Tour in Versailles. This year’s event, presented by the Woodford County Woman’s Club, features three historic homes and three modern homes all decorated for the season. There will be music, refreshments, and holiday cheer throughout the day. Also for your enjoyment, there will downtown shops open for antique, gift and art gallery shopping. The tour will be Saturday, December 8th from 12:00pm-4:00pm. For more information, visit the Woodford County Women’s Club website.
- Enjoy a Kentucky gourmet lunch at the historic Woodford Reserve Distillery in Woodford County during Holidays at Woodford Reserve, November 23 through December 23. Enjoy a traditional Kentucky holiday buffet with a contemporary twist prepared by Chef Ouida Michel. In the past guests have enjoyed selections such as roasted loin of pork, bourbon-glazed chicken, slow-roasted sweet potatoes with cinnamon, pumpkin cheesecake and Woodford Reserve cake. Lunch will be served Wednesdays through Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and Sundays 12:30 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. Cost is $25.00 plus tax per person. Reservations recommended. The gift shop will be open and full of holiday gift ideas.
- Visit Fort Boonesborough December 7th and 8th to see and hear the differences in the holiday celebrations of the season during the early settlement of Kentucky. The Fort will be lighted by candlelight, with decorations in keeping with the traditions of the time. There will be Living History interpretations of the traditions of various ethnic groups during the season. Candle lanterns, bonfires, the Christmas Guns, food and refreshments, music and dance, will all add to the atmosphere. Refreshments are included. This is a special program sponsored by the Fort Boonesborough Foundation. Admissions is $5.00 for adults, $3.00 for Children 6-12, and Children 6 and under are free.
- See the historic White Hall mansion decked for the holidays and learn about how the Victorians celebrated Christmas in Richmond’s Victorian Christmas. This is a special, self-guided tour with light refreshments at the end. Tickets are $7.00 for adults, $4.00 for children (ages 6-12) children 5 and under are free. The tour will run December 8th-9th and 14th-15th from 6:00pm-8:00pm.