Prepare Now for the Months Ahead!
Happy Days Are Here Again!!
Not the extremely happy days of 2004, but definitely happier than the past 5 years!! At our monthly Milestone meeting on Thursday, Mike Wheatley gave his statistical report which showed improvement on all fronts. This is particularly encouraging going into the Fall and Winter months which typically produce fewer sales due to the holidays, weather and other distractions. While sales are still steady during the winter months, we always look forward to the spring market which has historically been the most productive season in the Central Kentucky housing market.
If you are thinking about putting your home on the market for sale next Spring, it is time to begin your preparations now. Here is list of some things you can work on while the weather is cold that will put you ahead of the game come springtime:
- Clean out your closets – if you haven’t used or worn it for two years then sell it or throw it away! A neat and tidy closet looks larger than one filled with clutter.
- Box up “knick knacks”. You may love your miniature owl collection but it can be distracting to prospective buyers. Plus, you don’t want to risk a precious item being broken or end up missing. The fewer items sitting around the better.
- Clean off kitchen and bathroom countertops. We are all guilty of cluttering counters with mail, keys, and other items. Clean and clutter free countertops make the whole room appear larger.
- Paint where needed and clean the carpeting. Go through your home with a critical eye and freshen up worn and tired areas. If you find you need to paint, do so with a neutral color that will appeal to the masses.
- Replace any light bulbs that aren’t functioning. Use the highest wattage recommended by the manufacturer to help brighten your home’s interior.
These are just a few things you can do this winter that will go a long way towards getting top dollar for your home. Remember, there have been as many as 6,000 homes for sale over the past few years so you need to make sure yours is in the best shape possible to stand out from the crowd!!